Saturday, March 14, 2015

Crafty Me 1/31 - Tohorā Nui

Wellington can be a cruel cruel city and the winters are windy and wild. I love this place but you do need the right clothing for the weather in this here city. This is especially important for the littlest people, who can be the most vulnerable during the cold months. 


I had a lot of input from my littlest for the design of this one. We looked at patterns together but ultimately Pai just wanted a purple hoodie with a gray tohorā (whale). This was more than a little daunting as I've never knit anything more complicated than this cardigan which was all one piece and was completed just in time for E to outgrow it. 




I used very technical techniques and drafted a graph for the whale on my son's old maths book pages and really just went with my gut and did what felt like made sense. The result is a little messy and so perhaps next time I attempt something like this I'll consider doing some proper research and learn some actual technical techniques. 






You can tell I haven't blocked it yet when you look at that wavy ribbing  - Tricks and guides to blocking handknits (the wool is superwash) very welcome!

Find this project on ravelry if you're so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment